The software for selection and calculation in the Web environment is now a very hot topic increasingly discussed in the HVAC&R market and beyond. Many manufacturers are interested in proposing their own web selection tools, and they turn to our experience to realize their projects, all with a very precise initial question: what are the pros and cons? Let’s briefly clarify what are the main advantages and disadvantages of this solution, to date, taking up and developing some topics covered in previous articles on the Web. We remind you that Unilab develops solutions for the selection of heat exchangers on the Web, and has over thirty+ years of experience in thermodynamic calculation and consultancy, with an internal thermo-technical department able to understand and respond to your challenges. And the challenge of the Web is already overcome and consolidated by Unilab! Contact us for more information at email@example.com !
Let’s see the main advantages and disadvantages:
- NO INSTALLATION OR SETUP FILES: The first advantage is the installation itself, or rather its absence. Such an application is only installed on a server, and only once. There is no need for the purchaser of the web solution to send the setup to all its customers, agents, distributors. Once the server is updated, all users will have the program updated to the latest version. Access is also immediate, and does not require the download of any program.
- PORTABILITY: A Web Software is usable anywhere and from any device, because it works on a browser. Not to be underestimated, because the use on the browser makes the web application independent from the operating system used (Mac, Linux, Windows, etc..).
- FULL RESPONSIVE INTERFACE: thanks to the advantage of portability, we can then create the application to fit a Smartphone, or a Tablet as well as a PC / Mac. Among the advantages of such an application is in fact also the simplified usability for the user, who finds in his hands a tool with an interface built uniquely for him, and adaptable to the various devices available!
- LICENSES MANAGEMENT: at any time you can, entering the backend, expand the number of users or blocking them, or change the level of access of a user. In addition, since everything is on a server, even the licenses will be given to the user via a simple username and password access. Nice and easy!
- The program works on the server: the computing and memory capacities depend on the server where the application is placed.
- An incorrect sizing of the server can lead to slowdowns (it is always possible to resize the server: this will obviously involve additional costs. The more you want to increase the memory, or the computing capacity, the more -obviously- will be the costs connected). If the server is undersized, the more users connect, the more the response times increase.
- The network itself is a disadvantage: the Web Software can only be used via internet connection, and some features require the recovery of some data from the server. No internet, no software.
- The graphic interface is more simplified. To be compatible with all devices, fast and responsive, the Web software must make compromises. The graphical interface in the web is certainly more elegant and minimal, but it could be seen as meagre, poor in comparison to the wealth and potential reached by its Desktop counterpart.